The Compost Education Centre is currently doing its part to respond to COVID 19 concerns and working to “flatten the curve” of the outbreak.
Although policies and events are evolving rapidly we are currently:
- Maintaining a healthy work environment with posted information about how to stop the spread of illness.
- Encouraging employees, visitors and workshop attendees to stay home when ill, having traveled to one of the countries on Canada’s advisory list or having had recent contact with a sick person.
- Promoting proper hygiene (hand washing, coughing and sneezing etiquette) and social distancing among employees, visitors and workshop attendees.
- Ensuring easy availability of soap and water, or alcohol-based hand sanitizer products.
- Expanding and establishing policies and tools that enable employees to work from home.
For more information or to fill out an application, click here.
2020 programming is live! Head on over to our Eventbrite Page, call 250 386 9676, or come in to the office during our operating hours to register and buy tickets for our year of events.
Missed the window in June and July to seed your winter vegetable garden? Not to worry, we’re hosting our 8th annual August Organic Plant sale so you can still have fresh greens and herbs throughout the winter!
The plant sale will be held Saturday, August 17th from 10am to 1pm on the street outside the CEC (1216 North Park Street). Gardeners can expect to find a wide selection of plants for fall and winter growing and harvest including kale, broccoli, cabbages, collards, arugula, cold hardy lettuces, herbs like cilantro and parsley, and many others. Local, organic farmers are:
The Compost Education Centre
Cam Kidd with Perennials, and Mushroom Spawn
No need to register for this event but feel free to call our office at 250 386 9676 or contact us via email at office at compost.bc.ca if you have any questions.
Join the Compost Education Centre on June 22nd from 11-3pm for our Summer Solstice Garden Party, a satellite event of Fernfest, located in the Teaching Gardens of the Compost Education Centre in the heart of Fernwood!
Chock full of awesomeness, the Summer Solstice Garden Party, which is part AGM, part community celebration and part silent auction, is sure to deliver the goods during a packed weekend. Heck, with all the fun things going on around the city, we might as well call it a city-wide Summer Solstice Festival!
At the Compost Education Centre, located at 1216 North Park, we will hold our Annual General Meeting from 11-12. Here, members in good standing can vote on issues important to our organization and learn about the CEC’s extraordinary accomplishments in 2018. AGM attendees are automatically entered to win a door prize, and also receive a free meal ticket for our afternoon bbq in the garden! (Yep, we’re bribing you to show up for an important meeting.)
Following the AGM, at 12 and 2pm, our Site Manager, Kayla, will lead interactive site tours. Not gonna be here at 11 for our AGM, or not familiar with our site? Never fear, volunteers at Fernfest’s Field of Dreams will be waiting to guide folks to our Teaching Gardens, and signage around the neighborhood will point you in the right direction. During these 30 minute Site Tours guests will learn through sight, smell, touch and taste about our Teaching Gardens and multifaceted educational programming.
From 12:30-2:30 we’ll be serving up bbq eats and ice cold drinks by donation; simultaneously we will be hosting our annual silent auction in our Strawbale Classroom. Auction items are comprised of donations from an array of local businesses, from swanky restaurants, to useful gardening supplies, and those much needed self-care gift cards!
So come, celebrate the fruits of our garden (and our labor), relax and visit in the garden with good music, good food and good company while supporting the Compost Education Centre’s commitment to accessible education, environmental sustainability, and, undoubtedly, composting. Whether you’re a longtime friend of the Compost Education Centre or a first time visitor we would love to have you!
The Compost Education Centre (CEC) is hosting our 16th annual all-organic spring plant sale! The event is on Saturday May 11th, 10am-2pm at the CEC demonstration site at 1216 North Park Street. The Spring Organic Plant Sale features local farmers offering a wide variety of organically grown vegetable, flower and herb seedlings to get you off to a successful start this growing season.
What you can look forward to:
• The largest selection of organically grown heirloom tomato varieties all in one place for easy shopping
• Organically grown vegetable starts from arugula to zucchini
• Native plants for your low maintenance garden
• Perennial edibles like berry bushes and other fruiting shrubs
• Medicinal herbs like English lavender, chamomile and yarrow
• Culinary herbs like Genovese basil, dill and chives
• Companion plants like marigolds, sweet cicely and comfrey
• Live music!
Mason Street City Farm
Organic Gardener’s Pantry
Crooked Fir Farm & Nursery
Community Garden Growers
The Compost Education Centre